Saturday, December 3, 2011

Phil Jones not concerned by having to play in different positions for Manchester United after scoring first career goal


Dec 3, 2011 8:48:00 PM

Red Devils goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard also brushes away suggestions that the team's current impotency in front of goal is a major factor after the 1-0 win over Aston Villa


After scoring the winner against Aston Villa in Manchester United’s third consecutive 1-0 away win, Phil Jones insisted he isn't concerned by having to play in a number of different positions for the club.


Although he is primarily a central defender, Jones has also been used at right-back and central midfield in his relatively short career thus far.
The England starlet again deployed in midfield at Villa Park but he doesn’t believe it is important to tie himself down to one area of the pitch just yet.
Speaking to ESPN after the match, Jones said: “I’m still young, I’m still learning the game and I don’t think it really matters about cementing a regular spot down in the side.
“As long as I am playing and enjoying playing, then that is all that matters.
“As my career progresses then it might be time to start cementing a regular spot down in a set position but for the time being, I’m just enjoying my time at Man United.”
The former Blackburn Rovers man scored the winner with a well-taken finish from an inch-perfect Nani cross from the left and was relieved to have finally broken his career duck with what was his first senior goal.
“I’m delighted,” said Jones. “I’ve been getting a bit of stick from the boys and backroom staff about not being able to score.
“Scoring in my own net in the Champions League wasn’t the ideal start to my goalscoring campaign, but I’m delighted to put the ball in the back of the net in the right end and we got a valuable three points.”
A surprise starter in United’s line-up on Saturday was goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard, and the former Aalesund man highlighted how crucial it is to pick up clean sheets.
“It’s really important,” he asserted. “Clean sheets are like goals to a goalkeeper.
“In 10 games no one will remember how many fantastic saves there has been in a game, they will remember the clean sheets, so it’s very important.”
The Denmark international also touched on his competition with current first-choice ‘keeper David de Gea and insisted he thoroughly enjoys working with the young Spaniard.
Lindegaard added: “The competition very good - it keeps us both very sharp.
“I enjoy working with him very much. He’s a great lad to work with, he always comes with a smile and a good attitude so it is very enjoyable and it makes us both better.”
United have struggled for goals in recent matches, failing to score more than twice in a game since the Manchester derby, but Lindegaard isn’t concerned as long as they’re staying tight at the back.
“Well, for my sake I would rather win 1-0 that 10-1 because I am a goalkeeper and I want my clean sheet," he said.
"It was a very important win. We were under a lot of pressure because of the other results, so I think we did very well.
“We played brilliant defensively, top class in fact and it was a very enjoyable game.”



No comments:

Post a Comment